Building a new home can be the largest investment that many people will make in their lifetime, so it's important to get it right the first time! Choosing the best custom home builder for you and your yet-to-be-built home is essential to its success. Keep in mind, you will likely be working with your custom home builder for 6-12 months, so being comfortable with your choice and ensuring there is trust and transparency is vital! Read on to learn WHY you should hire a custom home builder, and feel free to reach out to Hagen Homes with any questions!
What does a custom home builder do?
A good custom home builder is an advocate for you, the will-be homeowner, as well as a hands-on and collaborative member of your home design team. They work with you and the design team to help establish a realistic budget for the build and then monitor the cost and scope throughout the entire design and construction process.
Custom Home Builder Responsibilities:
- Your custom home builder will involve and manage any subcontractors (if needed) during the design process to allow the designers to coordinate key systems into the design of your home. A qualified custom home builder has advanced knowledge of all building systems and is generally responsible for ensuring that any hired subcontractors execute the work as outlined in the design's plan specifications and to building code in the area where the new home is being built.
- Your custom home builder will contract with the owner for the construction price on the home and track all costs, submit pay requests to the bank and designer for approval, provide lien release waivers for all completed work, prepare estimates, and collect money for any approved change orders and owner-initeated changes - as outlined in the contract.
- Once the designer has filed for and obtained a building permit, the custom home builder will be the liaison between the building inspectors, governing jurisdictions, and the design team.
- Your custom home builder will also be responsible for managing and obtaining all approvals, inspections, and the certificate of occupancy.
- Your builder will order, check, and accept all building materials and components prior to installation.
- Upon completion, the designer will review the project for any deficiencies. If any are found, the builder will work with his team and any subcontractors to resolve any issues. After this, and once the city has completed their final inspections and issued the certificate of occupancy, your builder will deliver your new home!
- Your custom home builder will educate you on the operation and maintenance of the house and any equipment included in the design and answer any general maintenance questions. If a warrantee is required by local jurisdiction, the builder will also deliver it at this time.
Given the number of things that your custom home builder will handle for you, it's a no-brainer that if you plan to build a custom home, you NEED to hire a custom home builder. Hagen Homes is ready to answer any questions you may have about our process! Contact us today to get started on your custom home project! Our service is unparalleled in the area, and we will ensure that YOUR custom home is YOUR custom home.